The Dragon360 team strapped on our tool belts, rolled up our sleeves, and lent a helping hand to the Ulster County Habitat for Humanity Build Site last Friday.
The Ulster County chapter of the global nonprofit housing organization is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing locally through constructing, rehabilitating and preserving homes; advocating for fair and just housing policies; and by providing training and resources to help families improve their shelter conditions.
Founded in 1996 on the conviction that everyone should have a durable place to live in dignity and safety, the Ulster County Habitat for Humanity has constructed 14 local homes, and opened the ReStore, a discount furniture and home improvement center that sells donated materials at reduced prices.
if you build it, they will come
First-thing in the morning, our team of Dragons were led through safety training, and were shown the ropes by several dedicated volunteer construction experts. Inside of an hour (and about two dozen donuts later), we channeled our inner Tim “The Toolman” Taylors, and were cutting lumber down to size, nailing supports into place, and chalking the home’s layout.
After a day of sweat and hard work, we’d framed out and raised the four walls of the home’s first floor, and couldn’t have felt more proud. We’re looking forward to more volunteering opportunities with Habitat, and for construction to be completed so we can say “Welcome home!” to the local partner family. Thank you, Earth, for the perfect working weather, and to Fred Costello, Saugerties town supervisor, for providing lunch! Check out more construction photos over on Facebook.
how can you help frame a future?
Ulster County Habitat for Humanity makes it easy to share your support and generosity in a number of ways, including:
- Work alongside expert contractors at a Habitat Build Site doing general construction, painting, tile work, landscaping, and more. No previous construction experience is needed, and teens and adults are welcome.
- Spend time helping out at the ReStore in Kingston to reuse, repurpose, and recycle local HomeGoods and furniture. 90% of profits directly build homes and hope right here in Ulster County. Volunteers might clean and arrange merchandise displays, assist store customers and staff, load/unload donated items, etc.
- Financially support Ulster County Habitat for Humanity and help fund local families’ homeownership dreams, the local economy through building projects, and a stable source of reused, recycled and re-purposed furniture and home improvement material for the community.
- Donate items to the ReStore:
- Gently used, clean furniture
- Home goods and housewares
- Appliances and electronics
- Home improvement and renovation materials and fixtures